Compassion starts with prayer then moves into action. Jesus was moved with compassion over the multitudes - scattered, lost, weary and with out a Shepard. Lost sheep are scared and wander aimlessly in search of life's answers. They want to hear the Truth, but no one shares the Gospel.
Am I so busy being a Worker, a Laborer for the Kingdom of light that I have missed the boat? Is my heart so messed up (still & again) to see the lost sheep? My heart must be like the Shepard's heart. Full of compassion and eager to offer the Living Water. It's my motives. The sheep need the Word. Do I serve with the right heart -- keeping the main thing the main thing: Jesus? Do I have a Shepard's heart?
How to know if you have a "bad" Shepard's heart:
Taken from lecture notes by Ed Taylor at Calvary Chapel Boise Leadership Conference 4/27/12
Based on Ezekiel 34
- Selfish - feed themselves
- Use People - take advantage
- Take the best - choose first
- Ignore needs - not compassionate
- Disregard pain - those who are sick
- Close eyes to the hurting - ignore
- Pay no attention - to those drawn away
- Refuse to help - lazy
- Harsh & angry - bitter with words
- Careless - sheep astray
The reward for faithfulness is always more.